Monday, March 28, 2011

Big Boy Bed...



Quinn mentioned a few times wanting to sleep in the big bed....meaning mom and dad's bed. He had been at our daycare lady's house and slept in a big boy bed. Andi's kids had a day off of school and her 4th grade daughter Emily (who has been madly in love with Quinn since they first met over a year ago) got to read to Quinn before nap. After reading, they snuggled in and both fell asleep. While I wasn't completely ready for this change....we inherited a matress and frame from grandma and away we went.


Quinn helped vacuum and put the frame together.


The bed was tested and approved for jumping. We took our trust Bed, Bath, and Beyond 20% off coupons that I notoriously hoard and bought new sheets and blankets. Everything was functional...not made cute yet...but functional.


After the bed was ready to be slept it....Quinn gave his approval for reading and snuggling, but NOT for sleeping. The first time I tried to leave him in bed, he screamed a scream that I have never heard before. My mellow, easy kid was now in a terrified frenzie to get out of that bed and out of his room. Brian took him back to bed with Quinn still screaming and clawing at Brian so he could not let go. I climbed in bed with him for attempt number 2. Quinn lucked out because mom fell asleep too.


Attempt number three.....we followed the bedtime routine that we've been doing forever, books, sing, and snuggle. We added mom laying down in the big bed for a few minutes. When it came time to leave, the screamfest began again.


So I quit...I slid the bed to a different wall, slid the crib to it's original spot, and took my hysterical child and started over with the bedtime routine but headed to the crib instead.


The next day, Quinn's little voice was hoarse from his intense, never, experienced before screaming.


Lesson learned...Quinn is not quite ready yet. So for now, we'll have one crowded little bedroom. We'll slowly continue reading, singing, and snuggling in the big bed for a little while before attempting to sleep there.



No comments: